The Year Ahead – An International Security, Intelligence and Defence Outlook for Canada for 2019
On December 7, 2018, academics, practitioners, and experts will meet for the annual Year Ahead Conference at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa. Panelists from across Canada, the United States, and parts of Europe will meet to discuss looming threats, future challenges, and Canada’s changing position in the world. Experts will discuss topics ranging from electoral integrity in advance of the 2019 Federal Election, the risk that climate change poses for Canada and the world, and Canada’s ongoing contributions to international security through international organizations like the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and the United Nations. Panels, this year, have been divided into four themes:
1) Domestic Security and the Canadian Homeland;
2) US-Canada Relations;
3) Global and International Threats;
4) Canada and the World: Operations and Transformations.
The full conference programme will be available soon at: https://carleton.ca/csids/ but below is a partial list of confirmed speakers:
– Mr. Peter Bates (Political Advisor to the Commander, NORAD/USNORTHCOM)
– Ms. Andrea Berger (The James Martin Centre for Nonproliferation Studies)
– Dr. Holly Ann Garnett (Royal Military College of Canada)
– US Navy Rear Admiral (ret.) Jonathan White (Centre for Climate and Security)
– Ms. Megan Minnion (NATO Special Representative on Women, Peace and Security – Afghanistan and Iraq)
– Mr. Andrew Budd (Head Capabilities Section, Defence Policy Directorate at NATO and Chief Architect of the eFP).